Sensor Transplant Service
Call for price
Do you have a perfectly good CCD sensor, but it is trapped in an outdated, broken, poorly performing, or no-longer-supported camera? The CCD sensor is by far the most expensive component in any camera, and it would be a waste to simply throw it out.
To solve this problem, we offer “Eyeball Transplants.” Send us your old camera – any brand – and we will extract the sensor and build it into a brand-new SBIG camera of your choice.
The most popular sensors we have transplanted to date include:
- E2V CCD47-10
Of course we can transplant any sensor that works with our cameras. Pricing for popular sensor/camera models is available below.
How does it work?
- Please contact us before ordering – use the contact form at the bottom of this page. Provide full details of your current camera and what model you would like it to be transplanted into.
- We will quote you the full price of the transplant, including shipping. Please note that windowless sensors require a $1000 premium due to extra handling and cleaning costs.
- Place your order. Your credit card will not be charged until your new camera is ready to ship.
- Get an RMA number and send in your camera. Please specify whether you wish your original camera body to be safely disposed of or returned to you.
- We inspect the camera. If the sensor appears physically undamaged, we extract it from the camera.
- We build you a new camera and fully test it. If it works correctly, we process the payment and ship your brand-new camera.
- We provide the standard two-year warranty for the camera itself. There is no warranty on the sensor that you supplied.
Are there any risks?
The risk is that your sensor doesn’t work. We do not accept any responsibility for your sensor.
You accept that there is a small risk of damaging the sensor extracting it from the old camera. The transplant is entirely at your risk.
We’re very careful and experienced at handling these sensors. We will do everything we can to minimize the risk. Please inform us ahead of time if the sensor is windowless as this will require special handling. We will reject sensors that are corroded due to moisture accumulation in the chamber or have obvious signs of tampering.
If the sensor does not work, then we don’t charge you anything. If you want your old, dead camera back you will have to pay for shipping, or we can dispose of it for you.
If your sensor does not work, and new sensors of that type are still available from the manufacturer, then you do have the option of purchasing a new one and getting an entirely new camera at the regular list price. You have no obligation to do so.
What camera models can I transplant into?
The following models are routinely available for eyeball transplants:
- Aluma CCD47-10
- Aluma CCD77-00
- Aluma CCD8300 (modernized version of Aluma U8300)
- Aluma CCD3200 (modernized version of Aluma U3200)
Additional models may be available upon request. Please contact us to determine availability.
Please call for a quotation.
Payment may be made by credit card or other means. You will charged once the transplant has been successfully completed, prior to shipping.