Sensor Transplant Service
$2,299.00 USD – $9,999.00 USD
Do you have a perfectly good CCD sensor, but it is trapped in an outdated, broken, poorly performing, or no-longer-supported camera? The CCD sensor is by far the most expensive component in any camera, and it would be a waste to simply throw it out.
To solve this problem, we offer “Eyeball Transplants.” Send us your old camera – any brand – and we will extract the sensor and build it into a brand-new SBIG camera of your choice – STF, Aluma, STXL, or STX.
The most popular sensors we have transplanted to date include:
- E2V CCD47-10
Of course we can transplant any sensor that works with our cameras. Pricing for popular sensor/camera models is available below.
Note: For SBIG ST-8300 and STF-8300 camera owners, it is possible to upgrade your camera to the new STF-8300EN enhanced cooling version. This costs somewhat less than an eyeball transplant as we can reuse certain parts from your original camera. The exact cost will depend on the vintage of your camera. Please contact us for pricing and provide your original serial number.
How does it work?
- Please contact us before ordering via the contact form at the bottom of this page. Provide full details of your current camera.
- Place your order. Your credit card will not be charged until your new camera is ready to ship.
- Get an RMA number and send in your camera.
- We inspect the camera. If the sensor appears physically undamaged, we extract it from the camera.
- We build you a new camera and fully test it. If it works correctly, we process the payment and ship your brand-new camera.
- We provide the standard two-year warranty for the camera itself. There is no warranty on the sensor that you supplied.
Are there any risks?
The risk is that your sensor doesn’t work. We do not accept any responsibility for your sensor.
You accept that there is a small risk of damaging the sensor extracting it from the old camera. The transplant is entirely at your risk.
We’re very careful and experienced at handling these sensors. We will do everything we can to minimize the risk. Please inform us ahead of time if the sensor is windowless as this will require special handling. We will reject sensors that are corroded due to moisture accumulation in the chamber or have obvious signs of tampering.
If the sensor does not work, then we don’t charge you anything. If you want your old, dead camera back you will have to pay for shipping, or we can dispose of it for you.
If your sensor does not work, and new sensors of that type are still available from the manufacturer, then you do have the option of purchasing a new one and getting an entirely new camera at the regular list price. You have no obligation to do so.
Before ordering, we recommend you contact us – please use the form at the bottom of the page.