Dome Control System
The MaxDome II dome controller provides flexible, fully integrated observatory dome control. Features include:
- ASCOM-Standard dome and telescope interfaces
- Support for AutomadomeSlave dome rotation to your telescope
- Rotation-only and full shutter-and-rotation systems available
- Single or dual shutter operation, with sequencing
- Wireless shutter control – no unreliable sliding contacts
- Direct confirmation of shutter open/closed state
- Safety interlocks automatically close dome upon loss of data from PC
- Park-before-close option to avoid mechanical interferences
- Manual override controls for shutter and rotation control
- Auxiliary auto-close inputs for Boltwood Cloud Sensor or other observatory protection hardware
- Easily adapted to custom or commercial observatory domes
- Directly compatible with Sirius Observatories
- Directly drives 12VDC motors up to 5A. Can operate other motor types through external relays.
- Field-upgradable firmware
A full MaxDome installation includes two identical controller boards. The main board, which controls dome rotation, connects to the controlling PC. A second identical board, riding on the rotating dome and powered by a solar-charged battery (not included), operates the shutters.
A wireless inductive link provides constant communications between the two boards, allowing for full control and status monitoring. This eliminates the need for clumsy and trouble-prone electrical contacts.
MaxDome Block Diagram
Optional MaxDome Charging System
New! The optional MaxDome Charging System eliminates the need for solar charging the shutter battery.
MaxDome II Software/Drivers
MaxDome II Software/Drivers and user manual are distributed on a USB stick included with the product. They are also available by download via the Downloads tab on this page.
Installation and operation instructions for the MaxDome II Dome Control System.Link
MaxDome II Drivers version 3.00
The latest driver release for the MaxDome II Dome Control System. Note: requires firmware version 10 or later.Download
MaxDome II Firmware version 11
The latest firmware release for the MaxDome II Dome Control System. Requires drivers version 3.00 or higher. This version adds support for the optional MaxDome Charging System. Note: Please see the user manual for instructions on how to update your firmware!Download
MaxDome II INDI Drivers
Linux drivers for the MaxDome II Dome Control System.Link
MaxDome II TheSkyX drivers
Windows, OS X, RPI-3, and Linux Ubuntu drivers for the MaxDome II Dome Control System. Source code is available.Link
MaxDome I Drivers
Drivers for the original MaxDome I systemDownload
Suggested circuit for using external relays to control an AC powered motor. Installation should be performed by a qualified electrician only.Download
Suggested circuit for using external relays to control a DC motor requiring current over 5A, or one that does not work with 12V.Download