Note: For software and user manual downloads, please click the Downloads tab above.
Take stunning astrophotos with this all-inclusive imaging package. The SBIG STC-7 features an ultra-sensitive and low noise 7 megapixel cooled CMOS sensor, integrated 8 position filter wheel, plus a complete set of LRGB and narrowband filters, and an opaque filter for convenience in making dark frames.
You can easily connect the STC-7 to your telescope via either the front T-Thread mount or the included 2″ focuser adapter. The integrated filter wheel design ensures minimal back-focus distance for maximum compatibility.
The STC-7 package also includes MaxIm LT for Windows – all the software you need to take images, calibrate, stack, and do essential image processing. Other software is supported via included ASCOM drivers. Mac OS and Linux drivers are also available.
For even better results, the STC-7 is compatible with our SBIG StarChaser SC-2 off-axis guide camera. The StarChaser also supports the SBIG AO-8A adaptive optics accessory, which helps you get pinpoint star images.
- Large, High Resolution 7.1 Megapixel monochrome CMOS sensor
- Integrated 8-Position Filter Wheel with LRGB + Halpha, OIII, and SII filters, plus an opaque filter for dark frames
- Electronic global shutter for fast exposure times (0.001 to 3600 sec.)
- Downloads in under 50 milliseconds (depending on computer speed)
- Regulated two-stage cooling with delta ~ -40C
- Compatible with SBIG StarChaser SC-2 off-axis guiding camera
- Supports AO-8A adaptive optics unit via StarChaser SC-2
- Accepts Nikon and Canon EOS lens adapters
Third-Generation CMOS Image Sensor
The STC-7 represents a major step forward in imaging technology, utilizing the SONY IMX-428 CMOS imaging sensor. Compared to our venerable STF-8300 CCD cameras, the STC-7 has higher sensitivity, lower read noise, and much faster readout. It produces extremely clean images with few hot pixels.
Due to the extremely low read noise and fast readout, the STC-7 is best used with shorter subexposures than for comparable CCD cameras. A typical subexposure will be only 30-60 seconds, versus 5-10 minutes, while still achieving the same or better noise performance and overall dynamic range after stacking. This has many advantages including the ability to take unguided exposures without trailing. It can also be used for lunar and planetary imaging at high resolution, given its high sensitivity, wide exposure range, and fast readout.
The STC-7 is optimal for telescopes having a focal length of 1000 to 1500 mm. Longer focal lengths can be used for lunar and planetary imaging.
- SONY IMX-428 CMOS imaging sensor
- 3208 x 2200 pixels / 7.1 megapixel
- 4.5 micron pixels
- 17.6 mm diagonal
- Peak QE 78%
- Typical QE:
- Red (635-700 nm) ~ 63%
- Green (520-560 nm) ~ 78%
- Blue (450-490 nm) ~ 75%
- 12-bit A/D conversion with low-gain and high-gain modes
- Very low read noise ~ 2.5e-
- Very low dark current < 0.1 e-/pixel/sec @ 0C
- 80 dB dynamic range
Complete Imaging System
The SBIG STC-7 astronomy camera is a complete imaging system – just add telescope! The system includes:
- STC-7 monochrome camera
- Built-in 8-position filter wheel
- Includes Luminance, Red, Green, and Blue (LRGB) filters
- Includes Hydrogen Alpha (Ha), Sufur-II (SII) and Oxygen-III (OIII) narrowband filters
- One filter slot operates as a bias/dark frame shutter for precise image calibration, which can be replaced with an extra filter if needed
- MaxIm LT imaging and processing software, which can be upgraded to MaxIm DL Pro
- Compatible with StarChaser SC-2 off-axis guide camera
- Compatible with AO-8A adaptive optics unit (requires StarChaser SC-2)
- Nikon and Canon lens adapters
- SBIG STC-7 monochrome imaging camera
- Integrated 8-position filter wheel with L, R, G, B, Ha, OIII, SI filters plus opaque filter for dark frames
- T-Thread mount
- 2″ Nosepiece adapter
- Universal power supply
- USB 3.0 cable
- MaxIm LT software
- USB stick for software and manuals
- Deluxe carrying case